We’ve all heard the expression, ‘No feeling is final’. The same applies to the workplace. Despite feeling like there is no way forward from where you are now, no job is final. In fact, I feel like our roles in today’s workplace can be as organic and fluid as the current ‘change-full’ environment we find ourselves in. There are plenty of opportunities out there within your current organisation, and beyond, though it can be hard to see the forest for the trees when you feel like you’re stuck in a rut.
The first step to understanding what’s holding you back from pursuing or creating a (leadership) role you love is identifying some of the challenges we face when we’re not happy where we are, so we can take steps to move through them.
Here are the top 3 signs that you’re struggling to transition
1) You feel like you’re stuck in the daily grind and the weeds
2) Others are rising around you and your voice is just not being heard
3) You are feeling burnt out and/or lacking passion and purpose in your current role
So how do you become a more thriving and luminous leader when your confidence seems hell-bent on letting you down?
These 3 key strategies will set you on the course to self-belief and help you make the transition into that role or career of your dreams now.
1) Identify your strengths to gain clarity
Many of the leaders we’re working with at the moment describe having no clarity on the pathway to transition, to the point that they don’t even know what it would look like or where to start. Identifying your strengths (using Clifton Strengths or VIA) and putting them at the centre of what you do in your current role will shift your energy and help you forge a clear path. At the same time, you can also use your strengths to identify what the right role for you should actually be if you are not currently in it.
2) Adopt a new positive narrative
Low self-belief and confidence are like weeds. If not tended to, they can grow out of control. You might be feeling like you have been stuck in the same job for ages and that you don’t believe your skills are transferrable. The monkey mind takes over and negative thought patterns start cycling. The brain is malleable, so we need to create new pathways of thinking. Identify the negative thought patterns holding you back and stuck in a role and adopt a new positive story with a set of affirmations or mantras that help re-wire the way you think about yourself and what’s possible for you.
3) Create some space to dream
When we feel like we have zero passion or energy to create the transition into a new role, it can be very disheartening. If you’re not passionate about what you’re doing and not sure how to reconnect to what it is that makes you shine, then start with creating space for yourself to paint a picture to develop clarity on your new pathway. Leaving is not always the best answer, you can find your calling right where you are. Reconnect to what lights you up by spending time in nature, reading a book, connecting with friends, listening to a great podcast, or doing something creative. Start to notice the clues to where your passion or purpose lies.
Still not sure where to start? Here are three practical steps to take now.
1) Listen to this visualisation masterclass we recorded earlier in the year for getting into dream space and creating your vision for the rest of 2021.
2) Listen to our podcast on the power of purpose and how to find magic in the small things that can help you reconnect to your passion.
3) We have a few spots left on the latest round of our Luminous Leader small-group coaching program. If now is the time to overcome those negative thoughts holding you back, re-build your confidence and feel fully supported to make this transition to create the career of your dreams, then we’d love to work with you on it.
Applications are still open and you can book a call with Clare now to discuss whether this program is right for you.
To your health and happiness,
Founder & Head Coach, CLARETY